In Elder Law News

The nursing home does not take ownership of the house. However, in most instances – there are some exceptions – your father cannot transfer the house to you.

Instead, your father can keep the house and qualify for Medicaid to pay for his care, but the Medicaid agency will have a claim for reimbursement of its costs when your father dies or the house is sold during his life.

A local elder law attorney can advise you on whether there are any strategies available to you to avoid that claim. You can find one near you here.

Start typing and press Enter to search