In Elder Law News

He may or may not. The rental property should not be counted as an asset because there’s an exception for business property essential for self-support. But the income could be a factor.

Usually, husbands and wives are treated as a single unit when either applies for benefits, but there are some waiver programs to provide home care coverage. If your father qualifies for one of them, it may make sense to transfer title to the property to your mother’s name so that she receives all the income and not your father.

Unfortunately, this is all very complicated. A local senior services agency might be able to help or you may need to consult with a local elder law attorney.

Harry S. Margolis practices elder law, estate, and special needs planning in Boston and Wellesley, Massachusetts. He is the founder of and answers consumer questions about estate planning issues here and at


Start typing and press Enter to search