In Elder Law News

It depends on your income. The Medicaid agency is supposed to calculate the amount your wife needs to contribute to the nursing home, known as her Personal Payment Amount. This is all her income, less a small personal needs allowance, and potentially an allowance that she can turn over to you each month. The Medicaid agency is supposed to calculate your monthly income needs according to its formula to determine what, if anything, you can receive from your wife’s income. Either the nursing home or the Medicaid agency should inform you of this calculation.

Harry S. Margolis practices elder law, estate, and special needs planning in Boston and Wellesley, Massachusetts. He is the founder of and answers consumer questions about estate planning issues here and at

Start typing and press Enter to search